When I became a Liberty Safe dealer and travelled to Provo, Utah, my first question was, how did Utah become the Safe manufacturing capital of America? Ha. Well I did a little research and came up with 6 reasons, and none of them have to do with religion.
Utah is known as a hub for safe manufacturers due to several factors that make the state an attractive location for this industry:
1. Business-Friendly Environment: Utah has a reputation for being business-friendly with relatively low taxes and regulations, making it an attractive destination for companies.
2. Proximity to Raw Materials: Utah's location provides easy access to raw materials required for safe manufacturing, such as steel and other metals.
3. Skilled Workforce: The state boasts a skilled workforce with expertise in engineering, metal fabrication, and other related fields, which is essential for producing high-quality safes.
4. Strong Industrial Tradition: Utah has a long history of industrial manufacturing, and the safe manufacturing industry has found a favorable environment to grow and thrive in the state.
5. Safe Haven: Utah's economy is diverse, and the state is considered a "safe haven" for businesses, which is appealing to industries like safe manufacturing.
6. Supportive Business Community: The presence of a supportive business community and access to various resources makes Utah an attractive location for companies.
These factors, among others, have led to the concentration of safe manufacturers in Utah, making it a prominent region for producing high-quality safes for customers across the United States and beyond.
Lastly, some of the original founders of companies like Liberty Safe and Fort Knox have paved the way for younger safe makers to splinter off and build their own companies like Rhino Metals...so it's not surprising that the local safe industry continues to grow!